Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Children's Story - From The Bottom Of A Mum's Heart

"Tak mau pergi. Nak sekolah kat sini je." My Girl insisted.


She was offered a place in one of the premier secondary school in Johor Bahru after he obtaining 4A's for her Ujian Penilaian Sekolah Rendah (UPSR).
That was the year when her primary school ever became the top school in JB with 36 students obtaining 4A's (It was 4 subjects then. Not 5 as now).

I was disappointed that the offer was refused.
Other parents wished that it's their children who were offered the place.

After 3 years in secondary school, the same refusal was uttered.

"Tak mau pergi. Ummie ni, macamana sekolah TF tak top. Semua budak top dari sekolah lain dia ambik. Macamana sekolah kampung nak top. Tak fair. Selfish." My Girl left me speechless with her reasoning.
Again, she was offered a place in the same premier school after obtaining straight A's for her Form 3 Penilaian Menengah Rendah (PMR).
The same other parents wished that it's their children that were offered the place.
I was half disappointed.
But another half of me was grateful that she has the 'kampung' spirit at heart.

After 2 years, My Girl excels in her Form 5 Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM).

She's the best student in school.
She made the teachers proud.
She made the other parents proud too.

"Ummie kenapa tak pergi? Anak naik pentas banyak kali tak bangga ke?" The other parents asked me. They wished that it's their children who went up the stage receiving the scrolls of achievements.

My Girl did not want me to be proud.
I was grateful for not being around during the prize giving day.

After 7 years My Girl left her secondary school, she still made her former teachers proud.
After 7 years, she still made the annual Hari Raya visit to the former teachers.

After all these years, I am proud to let her have her education in ''kampung' school.